Our eco sponges are another great swap for your kitchen. These sponges feel and function like traditional sponges but are completely plant-based, plastic-free and compostable. The white part is spongy and absorbent, made of wood pulp while the yellow-brown part is scrubby and helps soap become sudsy, made of loofah.
Loofah has been used by different cultures for centuries before plastic was mass-produced. It replaces traditional plastic sponges in dishwashing and general household cleaning.
Why are eco sponges better than plastic ones?
- According to several research institutes, a kitchen sponge is exposed to hundreds of different types of bacteria and experts recommend changing them once a week, which is problematic because plastic kitchen sponges and scouring pads aren't easy to break down; it takes thousands of years to do so.
- Traditional sponges shed tiny fibres, a type of microplastic, which can't be filtered out by water treatment plants. They make their way into our water cycle, which can end up in our rivers, oceans and drinking water.
- Its versatility is great for washing and scrubbing all sorts of surfaces, even outside the kitchen.
- The softer side is suitable for cleaning low maintenance items such as utensils, bowls, plates, walls, windows
- Its abrasive side is suitable for scrubbing stubborn dirt and cleaning sinks or baths.